Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why A Blog? And Why Did It Take Me This Long?

Welcome to my personal virtual soapbox.
Where to begin?
I suppose first I'll explain why I chose the title "On The Fringe." For the better part of the last eight years, I've been inching my way into the Body Modification industry through my friend Paul Stubbs (currently Master Piercer at Kyklops Tattoo in Pittsburgh, PA) by getting pierced and tattooed and just sort of soaking in the experience of being on the outside looking in on the tattoo/piercing industry. I enjoy tattoos and piercings, respect the work and artistry that goes into them, and have made many, many great friends through these experiences.

When you become as heavily and visibly tattooed as I am, people tend to assume many things. First and foremost among these is that you are Not To Be Fucked With. Secondly, you get asked with some frequency, "Do you do tattoos?" (I don't.) Third, and probably most frequently, you get asked "Did that hurt?" (More on that later.)

So my experiences hanging out at the shop while waiting to get tattooed or just hanging out for shits and giggles give me a unique perspective on things that go on in the industry. I am not one of them (piercer/artist), and yet I am not one of the people who comes in the door to price out a tattoo or piercing, ask ignorant questions, or don't realize it's customary (even obligatory) to tip the people doing your work.

Thus, I am on the fringe of the industry. But this isn't the sole reason I've chosen the title: I don't consider myself very mainstream in my ideals, beliefs, interests or affiliations. This is not a place you'll want to come if you want a rousing cry to action. This is not a sounding board for the latest political happenings or decrying the evils of the world. This isn't a place to go if you're wondering how I feel about sports scores. This is absolutely not a place to go if you're interested in what the average schmuck has to say about Jersey Fucking Shore.

I am an atheist; I am proud to say it and rarely keep it to myself. I don't believe in god (notice I intentionally refrained from capitalizing), Jesus, Buddha, Zeus, Odin, Muhammed or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you believe in anything, good for you. If you have a problem with me not believing, then now might be a good time for you to check out the latest viral craze on YouTube or pray for my blackened, misbegotten soul.

Again, if you believe, good for you. I'm sure you and your imaginary friend have a blast. Believe what you want; one of the few constants in this world that goes flying in its orbit 'round the sun is that people have always believed what they want to believe. So don't disabuse me of my beliefs (or lack thereof) and we won't have a problem.

I am also an anarchist; I don't truly believe that any form of government hasn't steered us wrong at one point or another, and I purposely refrain from participating in the farce that is currently the United States' "democracy," or as I see it, the Illusion of Choice. Yes, we're all doing mighty fine with our frivolous cell phones, rubber bands shaped like bongs and hundreds of different styles of Sports team hats that we just know are official because people refuse to remove the tag or the swanky hologram sticker with the NBA's logo on it. But I'm rarely driven to care by such things.

I am an unrepentant dork. I have been since my Old Man introduced me to Comic Books, Science Fiction and toys that were hundreds of times cooler than anything he had as a kid. I have geek-related tattoos, I still buy action figures (yes, they're dolls, and yes, I'm okay with that), and I still await the latest comics, movies and tv shows that have my favorite characters.

I am a writer and I feel I have a lot to say. I can be belligerant with my opinion; I've been accused of having as much tact as a trackless tank on more than one occasion. I decided a little while back that I should see if anyone gives a shit about my blog that very well may end up being a long series of posts about how I don't really give a shit.

So when it came time to name the thing, my best friend Chris Bailey and I settled on "On The Fringe." On the fringe of Body Mod culture, on the fringe of the mainstream, and on the fringe of not really giving a fuck. As I've stumbled through the years I find more and more that my anger towards Stupid Shit in my life, in the media, and around the world has sort of transformed and waned into a bemused indifference. So while I can't guarantee I'll always have a valid point to make or that I'll make you laugh, I hope that I at least entertain and at most make you think.

It's going to be an interesting ride, kids; always remember that "May you live in interesting times" is actually an Ancient Chinese curse.

You'll hear from me soon.

-Swift

1 comment:

  1. Very nice start. now lets see how far the rabbit hole is ganna go

    ReplyDelete